Allan Leverone writes thriller and horror dark fiction.
He is the bestselling and award-winning author of 12 books and many short stories, including the Paskagankee series and his latest book Mr Midnight. Allan is also one of The Twelve, thriller and suspense authors collaborating on some exciting new books.
In the video interview below, Allan and I talk about his writing life and his books. You can read show notes under the video.
In the interview we discuss:
- Allan’s background as an avid reader and fascination by the ability of authors to immerse the reader in their worlds. He wanted to do the same thing, so intended to be a writer – but it took him many years to actually get into writing novels because ‘real life’ happened first. Once he got started though …
- Some of Allan’s favorite authors include Stephen King, who we both love, and who transformed the genre of dark fiction. He also mentions Dean Koontz, Vince Flynn and Brad Thor, who are all inspirations for an author who is still growing an audience.
- On the distinction and blurred lines between thriller and horror, as I also walk the line in ‘Desecration.’ However the book works out, it all comes down to the reader relating to the characters. Allan wants you to stay up all night reading his books, because you’re hooked into the character and their journey.
- How different cultures share commonalities in myth and legend and how it’s natural to weave these supernatural elements into our stories, because all humans resonate with aspects of it.
- How Allan’s ‘day job’ as an air traffic controller works with his writing life, and how much of his own character is in his books.
- On being ‘nice people’ and writing violence and horror
- The Paskagankee series is based around a fictional town in Maine, isolated and a perfect location for supernatural things to happen. The latest book is Wellspring, based around the myth of the fountain of youth.
- Mr Midnight is based on the bond between twins, even when they were raised separately and whether evil can ever truly rule a person.
You can find Allan at AllanLeverone.com and his books on Amazon and all online bookstores.